Monday, September 29, 2008

iTs kEEM CORNER

My name is Akeem Oliver and I never thought black people did BMX before Ms Giunta took my seventh period class to a BMX store called The Post. Before Ms Giunta took us on the trip to the BMX store called The Post, I thought about doing BMX but I always thought it was a “white” sport. Let me explain white sports for a second. They are usually in the category with snow or street, such as, skiing, snowboarding, and skateboarding and rollerblading. Where I grew up, none of my friends played any of these sports, so I always assumed they were for white people. I also never rode a BMX bike. So, here I am interested in this new sport. Prior to the trip, Ms. Giunta made me research the sport BMX’ing and pro BMX rider, Edwin DeLaRosa. Edwin is a pro BMX guy from Brooklyn. When we went The Post it made me realize that it not a white sport because we met some pro BMX riders and they were black. Edwin De La Rosa was my assignment for the day. Thankfully, I had Renee to help me interview him. Renee and I interviewed Edwin Delarosa we were scared, but a couple of question it was like talking to a friend.

EDWIN DE LA ROSA, Pro BMX RIDER
Rides for : ANIMAL, ZOO YORK, SKAVENGER


What inspired you to start? "Well I was flicking thru the channels and I saw the X trials and after that I started getting it to it"
When did you first started riding? "I was 13 I got my first bike for my birthday"
How did your mom feel about you doing BMX? "She was scared cause I was real young she didn't like it cause ill come home bruised up and she didn't like buying them cause because the bikes will brake and the bikes were a lot of money"
Why do u ride BMX? "I do it to stay out of trouble and it was fun it like a natural high"
How did u feel about riding BMX being that it a more of a white sport?"It was normal I rode with 2 white guys and 2 black guys"
Who was your role model? ”A guy name Mark Gonzalez, a Mexican cat”
What your first sponsor?"Animal bikes"

5 Comments:

At October 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Ohkono said...

Reading this article that akeem typed up i found interesting how he thought it was a white sport. I didnt catch it suprising but thats crazy how he thaught it was a white sport and still didnt care and looking up to it now. Still takes it as an interesting sport he wants to learn.

 
At October 6, 2008 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

that was me (Estephany)||down there||

 
At October 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

=] hi

 
At October 8, 2008 at 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

has many details an very interesting very good work

 
At October 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article Akeem!! the interview was really interesting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home